Thursday, July 12, 2012

Gluten, Dairy and Egg Free Gingerbread Waffles



I found the recipe which inspired this one on Baking Beauties tonight since I was craving treats. This looked really good and surprisingly even worked really well with my substitutions on the first try. I LOVE these.

My Family Overall Rating=4.5
(I definitely give these a 5, Dad likes really sweet so he will eat these only with the pear sauce and he rates them a 3, MG (preteen) gives them "a five for sure!!" and LS (toddler) ate them right away so I give it a 5 for her)

Ingredients:

2 cups brown rice flour mixed with a little tapioca flour
(note: I grind my brown rice and tapioca pearls myself.  I learned from a forum somwhere that the grinder gets clogged easily with tapioca pearls alone but works better grinding with the brown rice.  I used about 1 cup of brown rice and 1/3 cup of tapioca pearls and then added more brown rice to grind if it doesn't quite make 2 cups)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar packed
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger

1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil (plus more for greasing the waffle iron)
2 Tablespoons of flax seeds soaked in 1/4 cup boiling water (or use 2 eggs)
1 cup of water (or pear juice if serving with pear sauce)
a little fresh grated ginger root ( a very tiny amount goes a long way)

Combine dry ingredients and then add the rest and mix gently until combined.  Use a hot waffle iron well greased with olive oil between each waffle.  (These are really good crispy and do better if not taken off the waffle iron too quickly or they may stick and be hard to remove).

Serving suggestion:  Serve hot with pear sauce drizzled over the top.  mmmm.

These also work for "oven pancakes"=drop batter like cookies on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until firm.






No comments:

Post a Comment