Thursday, July 12, 2012

Brown Rice and Beans Cooked "Together but Separate"

Serving suggestion: layer shredded chicken, rice and then beans.


I love making beans in my pressure cooker.  It doesn't take long and I don't have to pre-soak the beans at all.  I also love using my pressure cooker as a rice cooker.  Now I have learned that I can do both at the same time but still have the ability to serve them separately. I doubled the amounts listed in this wonderful recipe and used the Cuisinart Pressure Cooker I have:

 Ingredients
2 cups dry pinto beans ($2.76 Amazon Prime Subscribe and Save)
6 cups water
2 cups brown rice  ($1.76 Amazon Prime Subscribe and Save)
4 cups water or make  broth adding 4 tsp chicken bouillon ($0.64 Amazon Prime
seasonings or salt as desired

Estimated Cost: $5.16 enough for two meals for a family of 4 = $2.58 meal
My Actual Out of Pocket Cost: $0.00 using items from my storage


Place 2 cups of sorted dry pinto beans in the bottom of the electric pressure cooker. Then place a small trivet in with the beans and pour 6 cups of water over the beans and trivet.

Use a small stainless steel mixing bowl (6 cup capacity) and set it on top of the trivet. Then put 2 cups of brown rice and pour 4 cups of desired liquid along with desired seasonings into the bowl. (I like to use mostly vegetable, chicken or beef broth and about 1/2 cup of vegetable puree like beets, broccoli, carrots etc and season with a couple teaspoons of Mrs Wages salsa seasoning mix the rice tastes great and you don't notice the veggies).

Put the lid on the pressure cooker and set on high pressure for 35 minutes. (or follow your pressure cooker instructions for the type of beans you are using).
When the timer goes off, DO NOT OPEN THE LID. Use natural pressure release which means to let it sit until the steam and pressure release themselves.  If the beans are not quite as tender as you like, then set the cooker on "browning" and allow them to simmer a little longer

No comments:

Post a Comment